Let me take this time to disabuse some friends of other stereotypes regarding Africa as well.
- No, you can’t “just go back to Africa” especially if you’ve never been.
- No, you won’t be greeted with open arms in pan-Africanist brotherhood, the people there don’t know you.
- No, everyone does not refer to each other as “King”, “Queen”, “brother”, or “sister” or any variation thereof you’ll probably be referenced to as “the American” or “white man” if they don’t know your name.
- You are a Westerner from a Western country without regard to the color of your skin. Given that, you probably hold all the patronizing and self-serving notions in regards to Africa that is common among Westerners. Check that.
- Yes, you can get robbed, beat up, cussed out and discriminated against in Africa. It’s a continent and it’s full of people not mystical beings who hold the key to a perfect humanity. Africa and Africans aren’t here for your preferred social theories.
cross-posted @ theybc