So I wanted my 2nd post to be about something really thought provoking but a couple of our other members have taken some topics and have started formulating their own ideas on those subjects so I wanted to yield the stage to them. As a result, I wanted to make this post about my top 3 movies ever and why they are important to me. Criteria is simple: Movies that regardless of where they are and what you’re doing, you stop and watch. If you are stuck on an island and had to choose the 3 movies to watch the rest of your life.
1. Forrest Gump
Top movie of all time for me. Easily. This movie has so many things going for it. It’s easy to love Forrest Gump. The guy is slow minded (never go full retard) and starts the movie as an outcast with braces on his legs. His mother does everything in her power to give her son an ideal education despite his shortcomings (Your mama sure does care about your education, son). He grows up forever loving a woman that never actually takes it to heart until it’s too late for her (Why are you so good to me? (Side look) You’re my girl. I’ll always be your girl) No matter the situation, he always found a way to make an impact in everyone’s life he touched. And I find it humorous how he traverses through history and impacts all these random social events.
1) Opening run sequence when he returns the kickoff at Alabama (He might be the most stupidest sonofabitch alive, but he sure is fast!)
2) His entire DC trip with Jenny (I’m sorry for having a fight in your Black Panther Party.)
3) His running sequence right after he has sex with Jenny for the 1st time and she leaves the next morning (And for no particular reason at all, I decided to go for a little run).
Least Favorite Moment:
1) Jenny: As a whole I just wanted to shake her the whole time for doing that to Forrest. I also love saying that Little Forrest doesn’t belong to Forrest. That woman had sex with how many people?!
2. Remember The Titans
This is without a doubt the best sports movie ever. From top to bottom there is nothing better than the cast of performances all bundled into this movie. I have participated in many a quote-alongs to this movie. The story of Coach Herman Boone and his ragtag group of black and white football players trying their best to play together and no longer be separated in a society that wanted nothing better than to keep them at odds with each other because of skin color. From Blue to Julius to Bertier, this movie has done one of the best jobs of having a lot of personalities but managed to flesh them out enough to make them all memorable.
Things I loved
1) Dialogue: So many great quotes. STRONG SIDE! LEFT SIDE! You’re killing me, Petey. YOU’RE KILLING ME! You’re overcooking my grits, coach. Sunshine is from California.
2)Banter between the players: I’m supposed to wear myself out for the team? WHAT TEAM!?
Things I didn’t love:
Racism: It happened. “Why don’t you tell your white buddies to block for Rev better? Because they have not blocked for him worth a blood nickel, and you know it!”
3. The Matrix
The movie that paved the way for CGI as we know it in this century. The world as an entity in itself was such a mind trip. The characters all shared something to the story. Morpheus is one of my favorite kickass characters of all time. Neo battles the entire movie with the idea he’s the savior of this world and has to figure out if he is in fact the chosen one or if he just is another guy. Some of the sequences are so good that they can be referred to by name (The Dojo scene, the lobby scene, the subway scene). You can’t bend the spoon, that’s impossible. It’s not the spoon that’s bending, it’s yourself. “What are you saying? I can dodge bullets?” “No, Neo. What I’m saying is, when you’re ready, you won’t have to.”
What I loved:
1) Action sequences: Some of the best ever as I’ve mentioned
2) Neo, Morpheus, Trinity, Agent Smith: The stars of the movie that make up the ground work for this movie.
What I hated:
1) The fact that this is a trilogy and they just didn’t stop at this film. WHY!?!?!?!!??!!??!
And those are my favorites. Hope you guys enjoyed it and don’t forget to share your own!