In the realm of Kanye fandom, I’m something like a veteran. I’ve followed his turbulent career closely for a long time, since way back when he was still running around in Polo shirts and backpacks – the walking image of a hip-hop overachiever. And yet, I can honestly say that the first news of his new album threw me off my balance. I didn’t really get it. When the title was revealed, it made me cringe, as I suspect it did a lot of people. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy – it’s so unwieldy and indulgent (something about those three adjectives); it doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue. Later, when the weekly leak series G.O.O.D. Friday was inaugurated, I fretted over the messy spontaneity of the new songs like a worrisome mother: concerned that the unruly apples would spoil an otherwise meticulously pored-over and refined bunch.Color me surprised, then, that having now played the album on repeat for several days, in a variety of settings and through myriad moods, I find myself concluding that it meets, and ultimately surpasses, near anything he’s ever done – treasured and celebrated as that catalogue is. I think it achieves this unlikely feat via a simple truth that seems obvious in hindsight: compared with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye’s previous works seem largely soft, sugary and naive.
- "Prop Joe looked like someone's Minister of Music" -@justinfication 3 years ago
- The 25 Best Breakup Songs Ever wp.me/p1c3VI-11h 4 years ago
- Post-Valentine's Day Special: The Best Break-Up Songs (50-26) wp.me/p1c3VI-10u 4 years ago
- How My Audition for the Twerk Team Went! wp.me/p1c3VI-10f 4 years ago
- On this day we gather to witness and celebrate the blessed union of @TerryTheTrainer and @AshleyMonee. Congratulations! #ThreadLove 4 years ago
- Mind the (Age) Gap: Top 20 Cradle Robbing & Cougar Anthems wp.me/p1c3VI-Zs 4 years ago
- RT @TerenceJr: Oh? @TheThreadBlog bringing back #ThreadRadio on Monday to preview the NFL season??? 4 years ago
- RT @iDrewItUp: 17 songs and counting for this "Age Gap" playlist for @TheThreadBlog. This will be fun. 4 years ago
- @NatChronicles good idea. We'll see if we can get something together. I'm sure we all have some opinions, though. 4 years ago
- RT @iDrewItUp: Perhaps Lochte was right... 4 years ago
- The 25 Best Breakup Songs Ever
- Post-Valentine’s Day Special: The 50 Best Break-Up Songs Ever (50-26)
- How My Audition for the Twerk Team Went!
- Confessions of A Self-Admitted Foodie
- Mind the (Age) Gap: Top 20 Cradle-Robbing & Cougar Anthems
- A BRAVE New World
- Yesterday Rodney King Passed Away
- Are There No Gay Psychopaths?
- Beyond Parody
- Playing The Victim & How It Degrades Our Discourse